Printmaking induction or a chamber with frightening stuff

Dear world!

( I swear I will try to make it the only cliche phrase that I use)

I am back. Again.

Don’ think that I hate writing or something, but it is the part where I should tell about myself that is really killing me in that blog.

Oh God! Only after I have written the previous sentence, I suddenly realized that I do my own blog! Although it is an assignment I remind myself one of those teenage girls from old school movies who were keeping diaries . Yea, I confess that I used to think that they are cool in my 13s, but I don’t anymore.

Anyhow, I will write about every experience that I had during my studying. Teachers keep saying that we must record everything and that it is very important. Okay, I will believe them. And in any case it is much more better for me to do it here without spoiling my sketchbook( yup, I still have that problem).

I hope u wont die of boredom while reading that up to the end.

So, lets go.

12th September. Wednesday.

My first class at the uni.

I was very excited about it and a little bit nervous, but who wasn’t, right?!

I knew nothing about printmaking except for some simple basic things and couldn’t imagine how I personally may use it in  future life. Anyway, it sounded interesting.

I and my friend found the workshop place without any difficulties and for me that was a fist win, considering the big size and number of floors in LCC and my terrible sense of direction inside buildings to top it all off. The rooms were spacious and light with a slight smell of paints that, have no idea why, was inspiring.

We came the first and I had time to look around. There were lots of strange machines and other stuff that looked kinda tools of tortures. I noticed some red triangle signs that are used to inform people about danger. Awesome, hah?! But it was special things for something that looked like  kitchen rolling pins and sure as hell can be used to murder someone. That ,eventually,  killed all my anticipation.

10 minutes after the class started. The lovely woman told us about what we gonna do in that induction and smoothly passed to not lovely points at all that were related to our safety. She chose one of the biggest machines as a sample and shared with us a nice story about one girl that broke her nose while working with it. I didn’t mind her to warn us about such ‘opportunity’ to damage yourself for the sake of art, but…. I mean, when u are just looking at those machines your common sense and self-preservation, my favorite guys, are already screaming to look out. It is much better to understand that something might happen in theory , rather than know that it happened to someone real.

The point is I am very “lucky’ for such shit. If there is a person , who will break something that is me. But, u know, I am a brave girl ( not entirely), so I wasn’t afraid ( a little bit). I picked myself up and went to the first part of induction- doing relief prints. We were given knives (Hoorrray!), paper and pencils. The process involved that rolling pins, inks and thick paper.

Before we started the teacher asked us to be careful and not to cut ourselves because she is afraid of blood and will be the first to lose conscious… Damn! I could never imagine that printmaking is so  dangerous! >_<

Despite all of these, I liked the induction. That was really fun and unusual for me. However it was the second part of the lesson that I liked the most. We all were already a little bit tired , when were sent to another member of printmaking team. And that was him, who encouraged us to continue. He was joking a lot, telling interesting facts and just smiling, taking everything easy. He seemed to be so in love with what he was doing and that was marvelous. It is not so often when u can see a grown-up who is going his work with such a pleasure and not being stressed . That inspired me.

I don’t know whether  I will  do printmaking in my future life or not but I am grateful that I had opportunity to try that. I wanna to find out more about its history and artists and I am also thinking about having one more such a workshop ( okay, now I started to sound like an A-student).

See u!

4 Replies to “Printmaking induction or a chamber with frightening stuff”

1. When I originally commented I appear to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox
    and now each time a comment is added I receive 4 emails with the exact same comment.
    There has to be a means you are able to remove me from that service?
    Appreciate it!